Thursday, June 19, 2014

On the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again...

Below is my email I sent on June 12.  Our trip started June 11.

Greetings, y'all!  Day 2 and Stop 2 on our cross country adventure.  

Yesterday morning we left home and made it as far as Statesville before stopping.  Had to stop at Camping World to buy another Perfect Chair by Coleman (I just coined it that, but my fellow campers know which one I'm talking about), so that we wouldn't fight over the one we already had.  

We missed the LEFT turn back onto I-77 N, so we were looking for a place to turn around and saw a gas station.  Turned onto that road to find it was closed and roped off, and the street we were on was of course a dead end.  After a few minutes of trying to figure out what to do, we ended up having to unhook the Jeep.  I was moving it out of the way when I noticed Chuck was pretty much just backing into someone's front yard.  Luckily, no one shot at us, even though every house I saw had someone watching from the front door (does no one work during the day? ;) 

Our first stop was Caney Creek RV Resort & Marina in Harriman, TN, just west of Knoxville.  We got there just in time for a rain shower.  In case you didn't know, it has rained pretty much every single time we have camped, starting way back when Zack was in cub scouts.



After dinner, my Uncle John, Aunt Patti, their grandkids Jay & Amelia and their mom (my cousin-in-law?), Celeste, who all live in Knoxville, came to visit.  We had a good visit (pictures of course, by Uncle John), and the kids had a good time playing together.  Chuck built a fire and the kids made s'mores.

It was a nice campground and right on a lake. There were lots of full-timers there. We brought the boys' fishing poles, but the only tackle we have with us is one spinner.  They fished for a few minutes and didn't catch anything, but they did feed a mama duck & 6 ducklings some bread.

This morning we headed out toward Memphis.  I started out driving and got to drive down a steep grade.  Little bit stressful.  Then I had an oversized load pass me and had to drive on the shoulder a little (which is scarier with the grooves in it.)

We are staying at the Graceland Campground, which is right behind the Heartbreak Hotel and right across the street from Graceland.  We got here, got set up, and got supper grilled just in time for a big thunderstorm.  We are nice & dry inside, but there are tent campers out there!  I think there are more storms coming overnight.  

We are planning on touring Graceland tomorrow morning.  Can you believe Memphis native Chuck has never been? And then we are going to meet up with his sister and family tomorrow night.  He also wants to take us by his childhood home, that he assures us is in the ghetto.  Sat. we are heading towards OK.  

No comments:

Post a Comment