Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Final thoughts, random musings, stats


Well, here is our map.  FL, GA, & SC (and obviously NC doesn't really count) were from prior trips, but everything else we just added.  Notice how we went all around Kansas.  We were so close in Kansas City!

We went into 17 states and 9 state capitals.  This will shock none of you that know us, but we forgot to note the mileage before we left.  I'm going to try to find an invoice from when we had it serviced right before, but for now we are estimating 7000 miles.

We get asked a lot what kind of fuel economy we get.  Most of the time it was 7.5-8.5 mpg, but there were really windy days that it was 5.5 mpg.  It is a diesel RV.  In most states, diesel was more expensive than gas, but not CA!

We got everything unloaded today and the RV back in storage.  But the house is a mess!  I had some trouble remembering where things were in my kitchen, and I was so used to the gel mattress topper on our camper bed that I limped out of bed like an old lady this morning.  The boys helped unload stuff, but have been glued to their computers the rest of the day.

Chuck & I said the other day we never got homesick and could've stayed out longer.  This morning he said he wanted to go camping again.

If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask.  I took notes on the campgrounds and kept all the campground maps (yeah, I'm a packrat).  Many of them were parking lots, most were gravel.

Here are some observations from the road and some stuff I forgot in other posts, presented in random order with no attempt to segue between them.

Windmills - there are a lot of windmill farms.  I think the windmills look pretty cool.  They are so big and move so slowly, it's kinda graceful.  We went by some really close to the road and Ellie was mesmerized by them.  It was so funny watching her watching them.

Speed Limits - there are some really high speed limits out there.  I think 80 mph was the highest we saw.

Motorcycle Helmets - I thought SC & CA were the only two states that didn't require them, but the majority of states we went in had many riders not wearing helmets.

Tractor Trailers - some of the states out west allow triple piggybacks.  So, a rig pulling a trailer, pulling another trailer, pulling another trailer.

Elk - we saw two huge Roosevelt Elk herds on the way to Redwoods, just hanging out next to the road.  A billboard stated one of the herds is the largest in the world.

Shoes - whatever version of the Reebok zig I have was the absolute worst shoe I could've taken.  I was picking gravels out everywhere I went.

Motorcycles in San Francisco - it is very common practice for the motorcyclists to drive between two lanes of traffic to the front at a red light.

Weigh Stations - approached one in NE(?) that weighed you in the lane and then said if you had to exit or not.  The sign told us we had to exit, so we went in the weigh station with no idea what we were supposed to do.  We got the green light to move on.  Later we saw one that said no RVs, so that would've been nice to know.

GPS - our struggles with the routing are well documented, but one funny thing was in San Fran, the GPS lady turned into a sorority girl, saying several times "Golden Gate Bradge".

Dust - It is so dusty out west I was sneezing & coughing for weeks.  I cannot imagine what it was like during the Dust Bowl.

Antenna channels - we watched the ME channel a lot, Adam-12, The Big Valley, M*A*S*H.  Also, the network channels are way clearer than cable.

Campgrounds & wi-fi - also well documented here, but I just want to reiterate - if a campground advertises they have wi-fi, don't count on it.  At least one of the ones we went to had the decency to say "limited wi-fi"on their website.

Jeep wave - in Charlotte, Jeep drivers have a silly habit of waving at each other.  We didn't see that anywhere else when we were out in the Jeep.  Also, at the beginning Chuck kept waving at fellow motorhomers, but eventually stopped when no one would wave back.  I had to laugh when I saw another driver wave at us and Chuck didn't see him or wave back.

Roads - besides the obvious backcountry dirt roads, there are some really bad road conditions in this country. Interstates everywhere are horrible!

Roads #2 - some of the states must really get a lot of snow, when they have signs all along the interstate saying "closed when flashing. must turn around and go back." Guess I just assumed interstates would get plowed.

Man 'o War - Chuck looked at his memorial & burial site while the boys & I were in the gift shop at the KY Horse Park.  He says it's the biggest memorial he's ever seen, like way bigger than Elvis's (I think that's the only other one we saw this trip.)

SF Tolls - every bridge into SF had a toll (only one way). We crossed the Bay Bridge in motorhome w/ Jeep and had to pay $20 and wait in an extremely long line. We crossed the Golden Gate Bradge in the Jeep only, and it is automated.  As in, they take a pic of your license plate and mail you a bill.  We did not have one waiting for us in our mail.  So, we'll see if it comes.

Cheyenne Frontier Days - Chuck felt under-dressed.  He was shocked at how dressed up everyone was.  I was pretty much expecting that and wore my designer jeans.  I did not have a fancy belt or boots, however.

Remote places - this country is full of them!  I am from a small town, but that did not prepare me for how many wide open spaces there are in the US!  My cell phone spent a lot of time saying "searching" or "no service".

This was my favorite of the decorated horses scattered throughout the Horse Park - a Trojan Horse, with little guys climbing a ladder in.

I think that's it.  I'm sure I'll think of other stuff later, but for now, let us know if you want to go camping!


No comments:

Post a Comment